Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mom’s Homemade Mongolian Pie

Every special day leaves memories to remember and the memories stays forever. One of the special days for every kid is his or her birthdays. My day is the day before the new school year starts; the way to celebrate my birthday with my family is simple but unique. Instead of going out to restaurants or go to movies we stay at home together with the whole family. It happens always like this on my birthdays. One thing my mom does for my birthday is she makes Mongolian pies. She uses fresh tender minced beef: self made dough, fresh spring onion and vegetable oil to fry it. The ingredients seem so simple but together it tastes amazing. The traditional way of making the pie is hard work. She makes the dough using small amount of water. It is very important to add the water precisely in good measurement. The dough must be soft and gentle to roll. Meat preparation is to mince the beef as small as possible and to give delicious taste to it. On my 13-year birthday mom made the most special pie ever. I never forget how it tasted and smelled. Covered by yellow oily fried dough, cute round flat shaped and clearly pinched line stayed still same after frying. The oily fried smell of the pie spread all over the room even outside of the house. Nobody knows how mom fries it well done in a few minutes. Mostly it burns if we try to make the inside well done or it stays raw if you want just perfectly yellow cover on the surface. But mom does it perfectly. Crispy yellow dough crackles on every bite. My mom once said that I just hold warm pies in my palms it helps my blood pressure and blood circulation system to stay healthy. So I understood in my child's mind that mom’s homemade pie is not only tasty also healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment